Wednesday, March 8, 2017

International Women's Day Reading Recommendations

Happy International Women's Day! I'm here today with some recommendations of books by women from around the world. I'll be posting again this month highlighting some of the books by women that are on my TBR, because most of my TBR fits that category. Please leave me your favorite books by women below! For some classics by women that I have loved, check out my Women Writers page and my Women's Lit Classic Club Page. 

Passing By Nella Larson- America
This book is not read enough! It was written during the Harlem Renaissance and deals with the choices of two black women who were childhood friends; one chooses to pass as a white woman and one decides to continue to live in the black community. 

I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou- America
Maya Angelou is my hero. Her autobiographies are second to none. This novel made me so emotional and proud. A must read. 

Gigi and The Cat by Colette- France
Review
I enjoyed both of these novellas as they were my first Colette works. I'm eager to read more of her works. I thought Gigi was a thought provoking read, and is something I wouldn't mind revisiting. 

I am Malala by Malala Yousafzai and Christina Lamb- Pakistan 
This is another must read. Malala is so young but so wise and full of compassion. Her narrative voice is so honest and smart. 

Half the Sky by Nicholas D. Kristof and Sheryl Dunn- Worldwide
This is a nonfiction work about women's tribulations around the world and how they overcome them. This work changed my feminism for the better. 

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley- Britain
Shelley's most famous novel is a masterpiece. She pioneered the genre of science-fiction and wrote a novel that is endlessly thought provoking. This novel is what great literature is meant to be. 

Bridget Jones' Diary by Helen Fielding- Britain 
I love this book! Bridget is the hero of all single women! If you need a laugh, pick this up. It's even funnier than the movie. 
    

No comments:

Post a Comment