Wednesday, September 6, 2017

A Few of my Favorite Unreliable Narrators

One of my favorite elements to find in a book is an unreliable narrator. Although it is difficult to get just right, unreliable narrators and unlikeable characters are fascinating to read about, and you know an author is good when they master these elements. A well-done unreliable narrator will keep the reader on their toes and prevent them from getting comfortable and solid footing at times, which I love. Here's a compilation of some of my favorite unreliable narrators, and please leave me your recommendations for similar books below!

Book Titles Link to Reviews!

I was totally captured by this novel. It was violent and dramatic, but I couldn't stop reading! Luke is a great narrator, as like any good unreliable narrator, he is crazy yet believes himself totally justified! I really enjoyed writing the review for this one as I had a LOT of thoughts after finishing this one!

It's been quite a while since I have read this one and I would love to reread it soon, but I remember being enthralled with the beautiful writing in this novel. Nabokov just wrote this novel to prove the power of beautiful words, and trust me, he is successful. You end up feeling for Humbert Humbert during the course of the novel even though you know you shouldn't. Nabokov was truly a master of the written word.

I am becoming a huge fan of Jackson's writing, and this short novel was so thought provoking and eerie. Merrikat is the perfect unreliable narrator; the narration and mysterious atmosphere keeps you guessing at the truth for the whole novel.

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
This is one of my all-time favorite novels, and a novel I will die to defend! A lot of people dislike this book or think it's overrated and I couldn't disagree more! This book is full of unlikable characters, that serve a purpose to the story and themes, and Nick (while not crazy like a lot of unreliable narrators) is not always truthful. His biased and unchecked narration is essential to the reader's 'larger-than-life' perception of Gatsby and the unflattering perceptions of the novel's other characters. Man, I could write a book about this novel, which is how you know it's worth the hype! 

What unreliable narrators do you love?  Introduce me to my new favorite unreliable narrator!

2 comments:

  1. I think this topic is so interesting! I hear a lot about unreliable narrators in literature, though I'll be honest, I'm not the best at picking them out. A book that springs to mind, however, is Into the Woods by Tana French. The narrator sounds omniscient, as though he is telling the story after it has all happened, with no surprises in store. So when something unexpected happens it feels so jolting because I had put trust into the narrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that sounds interesting! I will have to check it out!
      Thanks for stopping by Anna!

      Delete