Monday, February 5, 2018

January Wrap-Up: T.V. Books and Movies

I had a really great month of consuming! Here's a quick look at what I read and watched this month.

T.V and Movies


I watched the first season of Glow on Netflix in two days. It's been in my list since it came out, and I was just craving a new show to binge and started it on a whim. I really, really liked it! It was funny, smart, and full of beautiful 80s leotards. I loved the majority female cast, and the concept of female wrestling. I really liked Alison Brie in Mad Men and loved seeing her in a leading role. I'm really exited for season two. I recommend checking this one out if you're looking for a quick and entertaining watch.

This was my first time watching this 80s cult classic and I loved it! If you've been here before, you know that I LOVE a well-done satire, and that's exactly what this is! This was a super smart and hilarious satire of the typical 'teen-movie.' Winona Ryder is brilliant of course, and I'm already itching to watch this one again! If you have ever watched a typical teen-movie, you'll love how this one pokes fun at them. It also holds up extremely well, as teen-movies haven't changed much in the past thirty years. This one is on Netflix U.S.  


Carol has been on my to-watch list since the Oscars last year, and it finally came to Netflix. This was a quiet but powerful movie, and I have a feeling that the book it is based on is even better; it was immediately added to my TBR after finishing the movie. This movie is beautiful to look at, and both Rooney Mara and Cate Blanchett give great performances. This would make a great Valentine's Day watch.  

I LOVE Robert Redford (who doesn't?) so I always pick up his movies when I see them out and about. I love 'classic' and older movies and have a pretty large collection of them. This is one that I bought during the summer last year and then never watched, so I figured it was about time. This movie was a lot more than I expected it to be. Streisand's character was so interesting and the ending was a lot different than I expected. This isn't your typical romance movie, and it has a lot to say about love and compromise. 

Books 
I had a really great reading month in January too! I read six books, and really enjoyed them all. I would love to keep up this pace for February, as I want to concentrate on reading the books on my shelves. In January, 4/6 books I read came from the library, which is great, but doesn't help me reduce my physical TBR. 




Bird Box. Josh Malerman-- 3.5/5 REVIEW
The Miniaturist, Jesse Burton-- 4/5 REVIEW
Weave a Circle Around, Kari Maaren-- 3/5 REVIEW



Women in Science: 50 Fearless Pioneers who Changed the World, Rachel Ignotofsky-- 4/5 REVIEW

The Art of the Affair, Catherine Lacey and Forsyth Harmon-- 3/5 Quick thoughts: I don't think I'm going to officially review this one on the blog because I don't have that much to say. This is a small coffee table book that chronicles the connections (romantic and otherwise) between famous people of the 20th century. The layout was a bit confusing at times, and a lot of the information was scattered. I didn't know a lot of the people in this book, which made it less interesting at times, but I loved the art and it introduced me to some new super interesting people. It's worth checking it out from the library or browsing through at the bookstore.  

All the Crooked Saints, Maggie Stiefvater-- 3.5/5 REVIEW: to come

I Also Posted...

Hope you had a great January and good luck on your February goals and plans! You can see what I plan to read in February here!

2 comments: